THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:17:49 +0800
From: "Gail Diane Kuhns" <[log in to unmask]>

> The only problem I have heard beta blockers cause is with asthmatics.
> Because they do reduce the amount adrenaline in the system.

Beta Blockers work by sealing-off the receptors to the insult of
catecholamines. You have the alpha and the beta receptors each being
further subdivided into sub-categories.. One striking characteristic of
this system is that inhibition of one promotes expression of the other.
So, if you block the beta receptors you oppositely induce the
corresponding opposite alpha system which is found in the blood vessels
and the airways. Hence, the adverse tendency to worsen asthma in the
predisposed and likewise to worsen Raynaud's Disease (incompetent
circulation in extremeties).

With regards to effect on thyroid hormones, it is only Propranolol
(Inderal) that has a modest effect of inhibiting T4 to T3 conversion,
but this is not its main therapeutic effect in its use in management of
thyroid symptoms. Propranolol's high lipid solubility permits it to
cross the blood-brain barrier readily and this accounts for some
advantage in controlling performance anxiety and the disadvantage of
having more tendency to produce depressive moods, fatigue, and flu-like
symptoms. Over time, it has a tendency like other beta blockers to
induce cardiac insufficiency similar to the one that it is supposed to
treat due to increase in myocardial fiber length as a result of reduced
chronicity (heart rate).

If one needs a beta-blocker but problematic with adverse effects or
short duration of effect, one may ask their practitioners about
BETAXOLOL HYDROCHLORIDE (KERLONE). This is very gentle, 24 hr
bioavailability, no worsening of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, low
dosing. It even possess some vasodilating properties due to its effects
in the calcium ion channels of the blood vessels. Works beautifully as
well in those who have a tendency to nasty conduction defects in the
heart.

Greg

N.B.

Not in any way connected with manufacturers of Kerlone, nor receiving
any remuneration from them. Reference to their product is purely on an
educational purpose only.

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]