THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrea Briand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:04:43 -0500
Hi!

I've also been concerned with bone mass on synthetic thyroid replacement.
I read in a book loaned to me from a friend that long term synthetic
replacement did lead do a decrease in bone mass.  This book, recommends
treatment with Armour thyroid because it is natural and does not have this
side effect.  Armour is not available up here, and being a little concerned
about synthetic treatment, I chose to go the natural route.

If these studies were poorly done, than maybe my concern is not valid?
Were any of these studies done comparing a natural thyroid medication vs.
synthetic?

I am better since on the thyroid treatment, but I only felt really good for
about two weeks before going back.  I've increased the medication

 and am
better in some ways, but far from "normal".  Recently I've been started an
another naturopathic treatment for Adrenal support and to lower cortisol
levels.  It's too early to tell yet whether this will do the trick or not.
But I also realized this week that the naturopathic doctor I WAS seeing is
not very knowlegable.  I realized I was in the presence of greatness after
being informed the body takes T3 and converts it to T4 and there would not
be a concern if T3 were not properly created anyway, since you would have a
higher reverse T3 level which is used just as effectively.  Needless to say
I am concerned about diagnosis and treatment with this person....but I was
still afraid of synthetic replacement.  (I told her the way I understood it
really worked and recommended she either ask other doctors or read more
about it.  A few days later she humbly apologized and said I was correct,
and called in another

8more knowlegable) doctor to discuss the
Adrenal/cortisol treatment.... but who's to say there isn't lack of
knowlege in other areas as well?!

I have been tempted to try getting on a synthetic replacement, at least
short term, to see if I would do better on it...but I had been concerned
about the bone mass and the effect it might have on a bad leg that has
metal hardware in it.  I was thinking if the bone mass did decrease, the
hardware may not be as stable or may be more likely to fracture (which has
already happened once - a few months after that surgery).  Maybe I'm just
paranoid.....if all those studies were that invalid!

Thanks
Andrea

>One or 2, very poorly done "studies" suggested thyroid replacement lead to
>bone loss. They took the bone density of women taking thyroid, and compared
>it to women not taking thyroid, without any adequate controls for other

3Efactors.

>While actually being Hyperthyroid can make you lose bone density, moderate
>thyroid replacement failed to show bone loss in later studies. Some of the
>original women who had shown bone loss had been Hyperthyroid, had their
>thyroid glands burned out, and hence needed replacement.

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]