THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michaelmd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:17:17 EST
In a message dated 3/18/02 2:46:48 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> And I would like to know more about the dangers if we become pregnant 1.
> when we have this problem,
> 2. when we take this tablet.
> I am very worried about this as I can't think of another loss. >>>>
>
> Your most important problem is not the pill, it is getting good treatment
> for your thyroid disorder. If you are not treated adequately, you run a
> very significant risk of problems in future pregnancies. If you get good
> treatment, your chances of a healthy pregnancy are probably the same as if
> you didn't have a thyroid problem.

Borrow a copy of "The Thyroid Solution" by Arem, MD. Both hypo and
hyperthyroidism can seriously effect a pregnancy. Hypothyroidism is so much
more common, and it effects more pregnancies.

Hypothyroidism can seriously effect every aspect of pregnancy from conception
to delivery. Hypothyroidism, too mild to detect on the usual thyroid blood
tests, can make conception difficult or impossible. Hypothyroidism during
pregnancy can lead to miscarriages, premature labor, difficulty initiating
labor, mental retardation or birth defects. Hypothyroidism during pregnancy
is a major risk factor for both the mother and the child.

The blood tests for thyroid function are just that: blood tests. They do NOT
always tell how the thyroid is doing in your system. But, if your TSH was
elevated, I think that it would be prudent to look for signs and symptoms of
hypothyroidism and treat it. A careful trial of thyroid medication is a
fairly safe proposition. Allowing someone to be pregnant and hypothyroid at
the same time is a risk that I would never want to take with my patients.

<From (almost) Classic Doc Don: >>

Miscarriages are
very common in low thyroid pregnancies. I have intervened when local docs
would refuse to acknowledge this, and that the need for thyroid hormones
increase several fold during some pregnancies. The only reliable indicator
of how much you need, is how your system functions.

I took care of a woman who had miscarried before. I was treating her Mom for
Thyroiditis, and the patient started to have the same kind of premature labor
contractions that lead to the first miscarriage. We started the thyroid and
brought it up to a high level and she delivered a healthy infant several
months later.

<end of quote>

Doc Don

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]