THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michaelmd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:54:17 EST
In a message dated 3/18/02 9:57:53 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hospitalized with dysfunctional uterine bleeding, skin rashes,
> panic attacks, depression, behavioral issues, this  person was distraught.
> A thyroid panel revealed a  TSH of 3.67, T4 6.2, T3 uptake 22.4, free
> thyroxine index 1.4, and the doctors agreed she continued to be
> euthyroid.  Are there other conditions or syndromes that cause the
> aforementioned symptoms as well as weight gain (5'3" 240 lbs), fatigue,
> paleness, mood swings, etc? >>>>
>
> Somehow, Medicine has confused good care of the patient with good looking
> lab slips. If a patient has signs and symptoms compatible with
> hypothyroidism, and these respond to the correct treatment; they are
> hypothyroid NO MATTER what the lab says. The clinical lab is not a
> reasonable substitute for clinical acumen.
>
> Countless people with hyperthyroidism get the standard treatment in the
> USA: destroy the thyroid, and allow them to languor in hypothyroidism the
> rest of their miserable lives. The "rest of their lives" is not likely to
> be especially long, because hypothyroidism predisposes people to ac
> celerated atherosclerosis, heart attacks, stokes, depression, sleep apnea,
> and suicide. Doctors, too often ignore a perfect clinical presentation of
> hypothyroidism because the "TSH is wrong." Even the literature says that
> TSH is only correlated to thyroid function at the extremes.

If you really want to help that person, get her to a doctor who will treat
her, instead of her lab work. The most frequent complaint I hear is about
docs who ignore patients in favor of labs.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Doc Don (AKA  D. Michael, MD, PC)

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]