THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:08:16 EST
> Kyra Kitts <[log in to unmask]>
>  Subject: Re:

>  My resting pulse rate on 3 grains Armour, split dose,
>  is in the low 100s per minute. It goes up to 120 when
>  I've tried 4 grains. My "normal" resting pulse rate
>  varies from the 60s to the 80s.
And he wants you on 4 grains?  I won't tolerate beyond 100, it's
uncomfortable and my doctor told me 120 was dangerous.  He likes it in the
80s, but will tolerate a little higher.  It sounds like even the 3 grains may
be too much.  I'm assuming you rest for are sitting for at least 10 minutes
and take your pulse for the full minure?

I think pulse is going to high in the circumstances.  I would be concerned.
Whereas I tolerate 100 sometimes, it is not a good feeling.
> My
>  blood pressure and bloating increase on Cortef on a
>  miniscule 5 mg dose.
How was your need for Cortef determined, did you have low AM cortisol or some
other factor?  (High cortisol is a bad thing, supplementation when it's not
low is a bad thing.)  As for the physician terror mine prescribes it and even
if his whole afternoon schedule reads "recheck for mono" and that's why I'm
there, (the nurse showed me one afternoon and wasn't supposed to) but if I"m
there because I'm sick, he says, "corticosteroids lower your resistance,
maybe you should stop the Cortef."  I double it like the book "Safe Uses of
Cortisol" suggests.  Strangely enough, I got sick before I was ever on cortef
and I know it's not the cause.

Also, I think in Cortef there's a yellow die  that's also in doritos and
maybe aspirin and if you have problems with that dye, it could do bad things.

They decrease on a 2.5 mg dose of
>  prednisone.
Cortef makes me feel better, and I believe it's why I don't feel bloated
anymore, but others need prednisone to accomplish that.  I took prednisone
once and the old bloat came back and I remembered how it was.  Particularly
the frequent urination, which I wondered about and now realized seems to be
caused by bloated stomach which looks about 6 inches expanded when bloated
pushing on bladder.

If prednisone decreases pulse and Blood pressure, maybe that and going up on
Armour is what you need.  Maybe it's not too much Armour, just the need of
the right Armour/corticosteriod combination.

>  Timed-release, pharmacy-compounded T3 hasn't worked
>  for me in the past,

I have to ask, of course, if we tried cycling according to Wilson's protocol.
The way it's used can make a big difference.
>  I can't find a doc to assess my reverse T3.
rT3 is just a lab test.  It's just like if your thyroid is swollen and you
increase your Armour, it will probably shrink back to normal without an
ultrasound or radioactive drink to tell you that.  Just like TSH isn't very
worthwhile for most of us, neither is an rT3 test, what is worthwhile is a
doctor who will try a few things.  If you go on Wilson's protocol of cycling
and feel better that tells you more that a lab test.

>  Thing is, I also need to have a competent endo
>  (hopefully I've found one) to assess my adrenals. They
>  may well be at the root of my inability to regulate
>  well on any form of thyrois supplementation.
In your case, if you found one who isn't a moron, you may be right.  But
moron or not has to be proven by him.  Maybe he has ideas other than Cortef.

Skipper

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.