THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kyra Kitts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:28:29 -0800
Subject: Re: Do some do better on Synthroid and
Cytomel?

<<If you're referring to resting pulse rate, what was
it before you went on Armour>>

My resting pulse rate on 3 grains Armour, split dose,
is in the low 100s per minute. It goes up to 120 when
I've tried 4 grains. My "normal" resting pulse rate
varies from the 60s to the 80s.

<<I'm assuming 20mg or so of Cortef daily, not large
dosages?>>

I'm one of those acute hyperresponders to most
medications. A tiny shift in dosage upwards or
downwards can facilitate rather dramatic effects. My
blood pressure and bloating increase on Cortef on a
miniscule 5 mg dose. They decrease on a 2.5 mg dose of
prednisone. I'm not currently on any corticosteroids
due to physician's terror.

<<I also wouldn't have tried timed release T3 if that
was a perfect solution.>>

Timed-release, pharmacy-compounded T3 hasn't worked
for me in the past, either alone or in combination
with Synthroid. Synthroid alone doesn't work for me
either.

<<Particularly if you have too much reverse T3>>

I can't find a doc to assess my reverse T3. Wish I
could, but I can't currently afford plane fares to go
out-of-state.

Thing is, I also need to have a competent endo
(hopefully I've found one) to assess my adrenals. They
may well be at the root of my inability to regulate
well on any form of thyrois supplementation.

My new health insurance is decent and allows me to
choose providers without a physician gatekeeper
referral. Until recently, I've been restricted to
out-of-pocket pays or the local incompetents here on
the Central California Coast. I live in a particularly
bad area to find a competent MD. The HMOs are pulling
out or going bankrupt, physicians are having their
positions terminated at local clinics and hospitals
due to costs, the overall cost of living is high;
consequently 40% of the docs in the area have either
quit, left the area, or lost their jobs within the
last year. Who remains is appalling.

The one doc in New Mexico over a decade ago who wanted
to do a full ACTH stimulation study on me was
disallowed by my HMO at the time on the basis of
excessive cost. We live in interesting times...

As of yesterday I switched to 50 mg Synthroid and 10
mg Cytomel (split dose.) I've never been on this
combination. So help me, but I think I feel a bit
better, I hope. My thinking seems clearer and I had
two normal large, solid bowel movements today. The
latter in particular is a welcome gift. No one ever
said this board was for the squeamish :)

Kyra

http://mail.yahoo.com/

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]