THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:00:55 -0500
From: "Barbara Firth" <[log in to unmask]>
>  I am a lot more tired
> than usual!  I am able to work, but am tired when
> I get home.  I go to bed earlier, but wake up
> tired, too.  He was going to talk to my primary
> dr. about getting me tested for sleep apnea, too.
>  I have yet to hear back from the insurance
> company about that.

Your endocrinologist sounds thorough in talking to your primary doctor about
a sleep study.  Sleep disorders can leave you unable to function in the
daytime due to "tiredness" or "sleepiness", two differennt concepts.  One
from lack of oxygen at night from apnea or hypopnia events at night, and the
other from dissociated REM sleep.  Both are treatable.

I dragged through life not knowing that in addition to hypothyroidism, I
also have CNS narcolepsy, both permanent conditions..  The latter was found
at a time when three local primary care doctors, to whom my care was
sequentially turned over to,  refused to treat because they'd not heard of
it and would not heed the expert reports from Hopkins and NIH.

Your endocrinologist is taking this information seriously and is willing to
discuss with your doctor.  A very good sign.  Insurance uniformly covers
such studies, as sleep apnea leads to right heart enlargement, pulmonary
hypertension, and cor pulmonale, conditions that cost extra money and
disability.
,

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]