THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:47:03 EST
:
>  My Endocrinologist wants me to have an Iodine
>  Scan to examine my enlarged thyroid.  In order to
>  get an accurate test result, I have to be off the
>  Levoxyl for 3 straight weeks!
Awfully compassionate, isn't he?  One of the first things the doctor who
diagnosed me said was "if you don't take your medicine you could go into a
coma."  Probably the smartest thing she ever said about thyroid and it gave
me a clue as to why when my mother had gone into a coma  a couple months
ealier the hospital physician put her on Synthroid for the rest of her life.
Too little, too late.  All those thyroid symptoms the last 10 years of her
suffering life and the doctors didn't bother treating the problem until she
was almost dead and her brain was damaged.

> He just said I'd feel a bit more
>  tired than usual, but to get back on the med as
>  soon as the test is thru!  I am a lot more tired
>  than usual!
Yes, that's nice.  Hope you inform close relatives in the event you go into a
coma or have a heart attack, or fall asleep driving, or get injured while
working with dangerous machinery to sue the doctor for causing it.  I guess
if you can think at all, your thyroid condition may not be too severe.  Or
maybe, the thyroid med effect hasn't completely worn off yet.

> I go to bed earlier, but wake up
>  tired, too.  He was going to talk to my primary
>  dr. about getting me tested for sleep apnea, too.
Yep, it sounds like you have apnea.  Swollen thyroid,why wouldn't you?  Mine
wasn't even big enough to be called anything but "normal' on ultrasound when
it choked me and caused apnea and for food to get stuck in my throat.  After
all the apnea tests and CPAP machine, which didn't help, I increased from 2
to 3 grains of Armour and have never woke up from apnea since.  (I do have to
sleep on my side, ENT says my throat structure makes it a surprise I don't
have apnea now, but since the first night on the increase as long as I''m not
on my back I sleep just fine.  Before I increased I couldn't keep breathing
in any position.)

>  He said it
>  could well turn out to be just a simple goiter.
Yes, and that implies operation?  Or, as Doc Don has said a number of times,
and worked for my sleep apnea, enough medication to suppress TSH completely
tends to cause the goiter to shrink (it gets swollen from trying to work too
hard) or at least stay the same size.

So, simple solution, since too much levoxyl made you sick was to switch to
Armour and go up until the symptoms were gone.  IF you do have a "simple
goiter" that's still your best solution after the scan, and why do these
silly doctors think a radioactive drink is safer than Armour Thryoid?
Probably because they drug companies and surgeons who profit from other
medications than ARmour and from cutting out body part needlessly teach them
that stupidity.

Seems like Dr. Mercola's website says doctors are the third leading cause of
death in the U.S, quoted from the Journal of the American Medical
Association..   That may be understated.  Especially if heart disease,
commonly an undertreated thyroid problem, is ahead on the list.

Skipper

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]