THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:38:51 EST
> Andrea Briand <[log in to unmask]>

>  I've had some constricting feelings, but always figured it was acid reflux
>  and an ulcer on the esophagus.
Classic signs of goiter (thyroid swells from working too hard, sometime due
to iodine deficiency, but also because it is being told to produce more
thyroid hormone) include sleep apnea, trouble swallowing, and food getting
stuck in upper throat.   If the constriction went away somewhat when you went
on thyroid meds, it's probably the reason it got better as opposed to the
reflux medicine which has it's own side effects and with some, especially the
ones with aluminum they should not be taken at the same time as thyroid
medication, at least a couple hours apart because they cause absorption
problems.

 >  I have increased the thyroid medication because a lot of the symptoms that
>  had disappeared or decreased have been worsening again.
At least on Armour, that's a normal sign that you need to increase again.
Armour is quick acting and I don't know why a naturopath would object to it
unless he's not the kind who can prescribe.

>  I have on order a new supplement that has a T3/T4 combonation.
Check out www.wilsonssyndrome.com.  Since your problems started with a
trauma, it's more likely that you need to get away from T4 for a while.
That's what causes the body to produce reverse T3, and if stuck in that mode,
you might have to be on extremely high doses of T4/T3 combo.  MY wife was on
18 grains of Armour with normal pulse and blood pressure, but lots of reverse
T3.

>  As for sleep apnea!  I've never choked awake or anything...I just wake up
for
>  no apparent reason.  But since I generally return to sleep, it is not
>  nearly as frustrating as the trouble going to sleep).
I woke up three times every night for no apparent reason for years.  Whether
it seems major or not, the sleep disturbance makes the sleep time less
valuable.  And just because you only wake up three times you know about
doesn't mean if they did a sleep study you wouldn't actually be waking up 50
times or more and just not remember or realize it.  Sleep apnea is very
tiring.

A tape recorder to listen to your nighttime breathing or snoring may reveal
something to you.  My wife never snored, but every once in a while she would
wake up and think her throat was closing shut due to allergies.  I could
never have told from her breathing she had apnea, but I'm sure now it was her
thyroid that would constrict and make her feel like her throat was closing
shut.  But she never snored and her breathing always seemed normal.  So, if
it's real bad, the tape recorder might tell you, if not, then it still
doesn't mean the constricition and reason for waking are not thyroid related.

Skipper

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!