THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 04:38:24 +0800
From: "Kathy ADSL Net" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: TSH jumping around

> I have a TSH of 16.4 and a T4 of 10.  When I mentioned
> adrenal testing to the endocrinologist I was seeing for the
> first time, she hooted aloud and said that if my adrenals
> were in trouble, my skin would be dark brown.

Skin could be patchy white (vitiligo) as well if the adrenal is of
secondary causes (lack of corticotropin releasing hormone in the
pituitary gland).

Consider this if you are dose sensitive ---

Thyroid hormones increase the metabolism and energy expenditure in every
cell of the body and the product is heat -- that is it's only main
function. Thyroid Horomones are external to the cell,  Now, inside each
cell ( in what they call the mitochondria) an ever burning fire is
taking place fueled by glucose (or simpy sugar) and continuously
generating a substance called ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) -- this is
also an external factor and is present and transported via the
bloodstream. Some textbooks describe "life" as the conitnuous generation
of this ATP -- you don't have this in dead cells.  Being external,
thyroid hormones and the glucose need to be transported inside each cell
in order for the reaction to take place. Without one, the reaction is
incomplete -- even if it does proceed the result would be anomalous.

What happens if there is thyroid deficiency? The furnace inside the
cells lack the fuel (thyroid) to burn the required heat. Likewise, it
there is thyroid (fuel) but there is none or low glucose to burn, the
result would be the same and more often more problematic. These
analogies provide you with an idea that two things must be ideally
functioning in order to have an efficient energy production within the
cell. These two things are INSULIN and THYROID HORMONES (and its
transporters). Even if you increase the fuel (thyroid), if there is not
enough GLUCOSE inside the cells, the reaction would be faulty and the
person would be very prone to HYPOGLYCEMIA because despite the normal or
high levels of blood glucose the cells are not able to use it
internally. INSULIN attaches to the cellular receptors and from there
transports the GLUCOSE inside the cells. When these INSULIN RECEPTORS
are exposed to high levels of blood sugars which is typically present
(as post prandial hyperglycemia) in hypothyroids, they tend to shut down
and not accept the insulin molecule. This is done as a self protective
mechanism. The high level of metabolism brought by THYROID now lacks the
substrate by which to react and the cells become starved. Spread this
out throughout the body and you get HYPOGLYCEMIA. The liver compensates
by releasing its stores but this lasts only a few hours (typically
between meals only). Adrenal suport may give temporary relief for
reasons being that this gland is part of the compensatory mechanism to
avert hypoglycemia as part of the fight or flight mechanism by
inhibiting the release of insulin and increasing the release of glucagon
(blood sugar elevator). Remember, Cortisol by itself could induce
hyperglycemia which may otherwise be detrimental to the already
hypothyroid patient.

To cap this, my observation and understanding submits that in order to
avoid these problematic thyroid dosage reactions, a careful study of the
possibility of Insulin Resistance prior to the onset of Thyroid Therapy.
I don't have statistics to back this up but the mechanism is really that
simple and only needs common sense. This has helped me a lot in my
thyroid condition. In all this I have been inspired by the experience
and observations of Dr. Richard Alford. I have increased my insulin
sensitivity by use of an Insulin Sensitizer and am now able to tolerate
higher doses of thyroid without the nasty hypoglycemia. Once the insulin
sensitivity has increased I expect to be able to maintain thyroid alone
and diet. The weight has significantly gone down without the hunger
pangs.

Hope his helps and I stand to be corrected.

Greg

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]