THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:54:58 -0600
You are wise to be cautious about thyroid surgery. Once it's done, it cannot
be "undone".

Was an Fine Needle Aspiration done?  In my opinion, it's reckless to remove
a thyroid just based on an ultrasound, scan, and "We don't think it's cancer
but we want to remove it."  I can't imagine an endocrinologist not
recommending a FNA.

In my situation (I had never had a history of thyroid disease), and the
doctor's office ordered a scan and ultrasound after finding nodules during
an office visit for a sinus infection.  When these tests results showed
multiple nodules that were "cold", I was sent to the surgeon.  He
recommended the surgery.  I was told that although the risk for cancer
wasn't extremely large due to having multiple nodules, it still could be
cancerous and having a needle biopsy would likely be "inconclusive" and I'd
have to have the surgery anyway.  I asked if they could shrink the nodules
and was told "no".  They removed half of my thyroid and the pathologist said
it wasn't cancer but Hashimoto's.

I have spent the years since surgery trying to get better.  It was
unbelieveable what I went through (besides having a scar around my neck that
wouldn't heal right, my health took a nose dive and I ended up with
exhaustion).  I've used the time to read about thyroid and realized the
doctors made mistakes and gave me wrong information.  If I had to do it all
over again, I would have insisted they sent me to an endocrinologist
experienced in this sort of thing, had a FNA, and requested thyroid
medication to suppress my gland to shrink the nodules.  If the FNA would
have come back inconclusive, then I would have had repeat ones until it
showed me something.

After a variety of thyroid meds, I finally was put on armour, got my T3 and
T4 levels up.  At this point, the sinus infections stopped, the migraines
decreased, the thyroid swelling stopped, and a nodule that had developed on
the remaining lobe went away!

Lilly, you are smart to be cautious of this.  I'd encourage you to read as
much as you can and make sure you are comfortable with the surgery before
you decide to have it.

Deb