THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Croft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:00:03 -0500
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET THE DOC SUMMARIZE THE LAB RESULTS FOR
> YOU,> INSTEAD OF DEMANDING THE HARD COPY OF THE RESULTS TO SEE FOR
YOURSELF!!!!)>

This is exactly what just happened to me. I have been on thyroid replacement
for 15 years...the first 10 were not too bad. Then I had to do 18 months of
interferon injections 3x weekly for Hep C. Evidently the interferon really
thew my body for a loop, because ever since I have not been able to stay
regulated. I will be hypo...go in for bloodwork, increase my medication, be
okay for a few months and then swing into hyper. Once I swing into hyper it
is hell to pay...I have switched from a regular plain vanilla Dr to an Endo
because the internist refused to order a bone density test for me (I am 47
and premenopausal) and he said no way could I have osteoporosis without
being post menopausal. I knew I could be...my mother has it severely and her
Dr told her to tell both daughters to have the bone density checked.
So okay, I switch to an Endo, he does the density, yes indeed I have
osteoporosis...he switches me from Thyrolar to Unithroid and Cytomel so we
could
better adjust the t3 t4....I thought this sounds like he know what he is
talking about.
He switched me from 1 1/2 grains Thyrolar to .75 mcg Unithroid and 25 mcg
Cytomel, when I had a tsh of .04 on the 1 1/2 grain Thyrolar.
Tells me to come back in 3 months. I go back on Dec 13...have blood drawn
tell him I am have rapid pulse and flashes of anger...so he puts me on
Celexa. He does not send me my lab results until JAN 29!!!!!  ....a single
piece of paper with Thyroid high normal low on it and normal circled. I hit
the roof. By then my symptoms had increased. My pulse at rest was between
104 and 120. When I would try to exercise, it would zoom to over 180 within
a few minutes of exercising....I feel my heart beating out of my chest and
this guy sends me a paper with normal circled 6 weeks AFTER my blood has
been drawn.
I call and not so nicely leave a message on the voice mail to send my lab
report...hard copy.(you have to use voice mail...they have too high of
patient load to have a real person answer the phone.)
 A week goes by with me leaving messages every few days, and no return call.
I called my previous Dr and talked to his nurse and she told me if I came
back there that the Dr would just tell me "You switched doctors, so let your
new Dr take care of your problem!"
By this time I had received a copy of my labs, TSH was .73 (low normal),  t4
was 6.4,(low normal) but total t3 was 60 points above normal ( remember that
these labs are from 6 weeks ago, too, before my symptoms became unbearable.)
I FINALLY got someone who had a family member who worked in the Endos
practice to call and have the family member talk to the Dr and then he did
talk to me...
he said total t3 was insignificant because it fluctuated so much, but
suggested I stop the Cytomel for 3 days and start back taking only 1/2 dose.
It so happened that I ran out of unithroid at the same time so I stopped
taking both for 3 days.
My heartrate went down to 82 and stayed within 5 points until I started back
on the unithroid...then it went up again...then after I started taking just
6 mcg of cytomel twice a day, it is back up, but swinging between normal and
105.

The dr wants to see me in March.
I feel that my December labs are no longer valid and that I should have had
labs repeated last week when I talked to the Dr.

oh...also when I stopped taking the unithroid for a few days I could feel
the hypo feelings coming back...brain fog and fatigue!
I felt so well with thryoid replacement for so long and it is very
frustrating to now feel such swings of alternating hypo and hyper.
Anyone else experiencing anything similar.?..(if you have waded through this
long post you are doing good!

Mary

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]