THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deborah E Leech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 00:19:57 -0600
I am using current events as an excuse to get an emergency medical kit
together.

This article from Mary Shomon's newsletter makes a recommendation to have
on hand a supply of potasium iodide to protect the thyroid during a
nuclear accident.  Good to have if you live near a nuclear power plant.

http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.ki4u.com/

Didnt I hear on this list that iodine is actually bad for the thyroid?
Then why would it be protective when there is radiation?

Yet, when looking to order potassium iodide at

http://www.ki4u.com/products1.htm

they said

"The thyroid-blocking dose is 100 mg of iodine (the iodine content of a
130 mg KI tablet)."

Is potassium iodide a form of iodine?  Is it helpful in this situation?

Thanks!

Deb

Deborah Leech

 If you "Reply" to a message, and you fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

 Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid account
1 Talk to many thyroid people  <[log in to unmask]>
2 Control your account         <[log in to unmask]>
3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
Account changes <A HREF="http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/">X</A>
Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html and ask again!