THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:22:28 -0500
I would strongly urge you to *not* take the liquid iodine.  Many
chiropractors and other complementary practitioners are under the
impression that adding iodine will help improve thyroid function.  That is
not correct.  Iodine deficiency is extremely rare, and is not a major cause
of thyroid problems.

A year before my Hashimotos was diagnosed, my chiropractor put me on high
dose iodine for the same reason.  It made me feel bad and I cut back on the
dose quickly.  Later, after being diagnosed, I read (in a medical thyroid
text) that high doses of iodine can actually trigger Hashimotos in
susceptible people.

Susan A

At 08:24 PM 8/13/01 EDT, you wrote:
>I've been seeing a homeopathic phsyician who's put me on liquid iodine to
>help support my thyroid function.  Do any of you have experience with this?
>
>I'm wondering if it's safe when paired with Synthroid.....I'm getting a
>huge amount of itching and am concerned that I'm going hyperthyroid.

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.