THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 13:50:17 EDT
>  Barry Davis <>

>  Do I assume from this that even Doc Don has a group of Hypo patients which
>  simply do not recover no matter what treatment is given to them

No doctor is perfect and capable of curing everyone.  Doc Don does a good job
on hypothyroidism and a lot of side issues relating to it including female
hormones and cortisol.  (Even though he may try to push hydrocortisone on
some who don't need it, my suspicion is they can all tell within a short
time, so it's just a clinical trial.  Others may not do well on cortef but do
ok on prednisone so if they call him, he can work it out with the patient.)

I would consider my wife one of those patients who were treated but not well.
 He took her up to 18 grains of armour and her pulse and blood pressure were
lower than before treatment.  She wasn't well, but she was a lot better than
she had for years.  Now on the Wilson's treatment, I can't comment on its
long term effect because she's only been on it a while, I don't think she's
been this well since 1983.  So, now that he has this in his arsenal, he may
not have the kind of patients you're referring to for much longer.

Check out www.wilsonssyndrome.com if you are curious.  You can check it out
and get the 2 books, the Doctor's Manual you should have if you want to be
treated.  I found this site for the first time in 1996 and it fit my wife
perfectly.  The ancestry, the beginning after a stressful situation, the
symptoms.  Gee, most people looking at the symptoms list wouldnt' believe it
could cause that many different things, but low thyroid can cause almost
anything.  I would have pursued treatment back then, but guess what happened
to me?  Yes, that was when my TSH elevated enough to get me diagnosed when I
was almost at coma level.

I actually told Doc Don I thought this was her problem before we ever visited
him, but was willing to try his methods first because I didn't know enough
and Wilson's does sound far fetched at first.  But when she needed 18 grains
of Armour and Joan McPhee e-mailed me a paper by Dr. Richard Alford which
mentioned his patient needed 11 grains to compensate for reverse T3, that was
the last piece of the puzzle.  It's really a credit to a doctor that they
will listen to a patient and actually work with them to get better.  Most
doctors won't listen especially to logic.  Maybe it's because Doc Don belongs
to MENSA (I don't know what it stands for but it's an IQ over a certain
range) and people who are smart normally like to learn as much as they can.
Others just want to make money as a doctor.  So, he's done this with both
hydrocortisone and timed release T3, he listens to his patients and finds way
to make them better if possible,  Then that helps the whole group of patients
get better plus many of us on the listserv who take his advice.  I woud
probably not have got my family doctor to treat my son without his
explanation of how a child who was hypothyroid could be tall.  The other one
my doctor might have treated without elevated TSH, but he fit the profile and
his rate of growth had changed.  So, Doc Don works with patients learns more,
beneifits his patients directly if recalls if necessary and then benefits the
listserv with his knowledge.  He may not participate as much as he used to
but a lot of us have picked up part of his concepts.

Skipper Beers

  If you "Reply" to a message, and fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid account
1 Talk to many thyroid people  <[log in to unmask]>
 2 Control your account       <[log in to unmask]>
   3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
Account control <A HREF="http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/">X</A>
Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html and ask again!