THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 21:37:50 -0400
Was a full thyroid spectrum done on you?  Or is just TSH (thyroid
stimulating hormone) being measured.

Prednisone lowers TSH because prednisone suppresses pituitary function.
This is well known fact and can be referenced in the Unithroid monograph on
the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) at www.fda.gov/cder , in the family
practice notebook (search on Yahoo as family practice notebook), and at
www.thyroidmanager.com

My thyroid medication was lowered as a result of a misinterpretation of a
TSH test alone, done at the height of my prednisone treatment; 2 months
later my body temperature was 95-96 degrees.  My doctor hadn't a clue about
the biochemistry and physiology of thyroid hormones.  TSH is not a
diagnostic test, but rather a screening tool.  Abnormal TSH requires further
investigation.

I very carefully and very slowly upped my dose of thyroid medication until I
could see a competent doctor, at which time I  was still hypothyroid, not
determined from the TSH test, but from the rest of the thyroid panel,
especially the T3, triiodothyronine.  The real doctor has now upped my
thyroid medication even more.  When I saw the real doctor, but was still
hypothyroid, I really felt pretty good- - so much better than what I had
been with the prescription the doctor without a clue gave me.

There are a number of drugs that lower TSH independent of thyroid hormones.
There are also drugs that interfere with peripheral (liver, other organs)
conversion of T4 (thyroxin) to T3.  There are easy to understand treatment
algorithms for doctors to use.  Not exactly no-brainers, but close.

I don't get it about the practice of medicine these days.  Guess you can't
have much wrong with you to put your care the hands of some people who
happen to have a M.D. degree.  Remember 50% of doctors graduated in the
lower half of their class.

Sounds like you need a doctor willing to take the time to evaluate your
situation.

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.