Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 18:33:20 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help!  Here is a wrap-up:

1.  Deli cheese - the vast majority said deli cheese was ok, just watch for cross contamination.  one person said definitely not.
2.  Cream Cheese - vast majority said Phila. regular was fine and 2 said the soft was fine as well.  one person said none of it is GF.
3.  Margarine & Butter - got lots of suggestions here. Brummel & Brown, Promise, Shedds, Smart Balance, Blue Bonnet, Mazolla stick
4   Oil - most people said to use corn or olive oil.  Seems to be a debate about canola, although most use it with no problems.  Crisco shortening and PAM were ok according to most.  One person said no to the PAM.
5.  Pancake Syrup - 2 people use Mrs. Butterworth, one uses Karo, one uses Log Cabin, and most use real maple syrup.
6.  Kraft Marshmallow Creme - vast majority said it was fine.  One person said no.
7.  Salad Dressing - One person told me Kraft Viva Italian is ok, Lots use Annie's and lots make their own.
8.  Reddi Wip Whipped Cream - all said this was fine
9.  Orbit gum - 2 said it was ok because it's wrigleys.  most said they weren't sure.
10.  Bread - ha ha....saved the best for last! No one really raved about GF bread, and some even gave up trying.  Everyone had a different opinion and some prefer store bought and some prefer making their own (although I understand you need a chemistry degree along with tons of patience to get a half-decent loaf - can hardly wait until my bread machine arrives :(

Two people warned me that doritos are not GF, although some people said they are.  They are listed as GF on FritoLay's website and I called them twice and was reassured they do not contain gluten.  Even the new Extreme Fiery Ranch are ok according to FL.  Someone told me their bag had "wheat gluten" written right on it, but I couldn't find it.  I guess this one is a mystery!?!?!?

Thanks again to everyone from a very stressed and nervous mom on day 3 of her daughter's diet!
-Kat