From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:05:46 -0500

Oh well, so much for hoping to solve the charcoal question.

One person told me to use gas. As I explained in the question, I do that at
home, but what about when I go out to a cookout and all they have is
charcoal briquets?

One person told me he has used briquets for 10 years and has never had a
reaction at all.

One person told me that people with CD react just walking through charcoal
smoke. And that we absorb gluten through our skin and get sick. I'd need to
see some scientific proof before I believe it, particularly the one about
absorbing gluten through the skin.

Another person told me this had all been solved earlier on this forum. I
searched two years and nothing at all was solved, that's why I asked the
question again.

Finally, somebody told me that he read "wheat" on the ingredient list of
one charcoal but he didn't remember which one. Here in my town, none of the
briquet bags list any ingredients. I was also told that Kingsford does and
doesn't have gluten, so I called them myself. Their briquets do
have "starch" but they are researching what kind of starch.

Richard