From:
Phil Carls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:24:49 -0600

The following is a message I received from Hellmann's/Best Foods.
Please read the entire statement.   They "highly recommend not using any
of our processed food products" if one wants to avoid gluten.

Hi,

Thanks so much for writing!

All Hellmann's/Best Foods mayonnaise products and spreads are gluten-
free (Real, Light and Low Fat).  The starch base that replaces some of
the oil in Light and Low fat mayonnaise type dressings are made from
modified corn starch (which is gluten-free) not wheat starch. The
vinegar in Hellmann's and Best Foods products is distilled vinegar.

When common allergens are used in our products, we list these under our
ingredients. The common allergens which we list, if present, are: Milk,
Eggs, Fish, Shellfish,  Wheat, Soy, Peanuts or other Nuts. We make every
effort to stay informed about any additional ingredients that could be
considered common allergens. Also whenever possible, we try to avoid
using materials or ingredients that could be considered to be commonly
allergenic, so that potential allergens are not included into categories
such as "Natural Flavors".

Please understand that we outsource some of the packaging of our
products. If an ingredients known as a common allergens is processed at
any of the plants, the facility and machinery is thoroughly air cleaned.
Knowing this, although we would think it is unlikely, it is  possible
that trace elements could remain.

Therefore, since some have an extreme allergy to Gluten, we highly
recommend not using any of our processed food products.

Because our products are formulated for use by the majority of our
consumers, and not specifically for those on restricted diets, it is
possible our product formulations may change at any time.

Thanks for your interest!

Your friends at Hellmann's