From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:04:38 EST

Hi there All,

I was also surprised to see anyone (especially someone taking it!) say that
Dapsone is safe.  It can be safe if monitored correctly and regularly by a
doctor.  My own doctor insisted on a variety of expensive blood testing
before even considering it for me.  It can wreck your liver, for starters,
and make you vulnerable to many other mild to very serious problems.

Since we are all here to support one another, let's try to agree that it may
be the right drug of choice for some folks, but not for others.  I had a few
bouts of DH, which I managed to control using homeopathic remedies.  I also
convinced my doctor to give me a prescription for Phisohex (the real one that
we all used as kids, but it was taken off the shelf because rats eating 50X
their weight got cancer!).  This helped me to clear up pretty well.  Now I am
using diet and homeopathic creams, dead sea mud, and hocus pocus to keep it
at bay.  Whatever works.  For those who choose Dapsone, please do make sure
to test before and during administering the drug.  It is powerful and can
have serious consequences.  I do understand that there are folks who
sometimes assume that their doctor is God and take what s/he doles out
without question, and undoubtedly there are doctors who don't administer the
drug with full care.  This is why we have this list, right?   We can help one
another with these little awarenesses.

Stay well everyone and enjoy a beautiful weekend.

Love and peace,

Libby
NYC