THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 02:30:09 -0400

<<  I am hypo with Hashimoto's.  The latest round of tests my endo ordered
now indicates possible adrenal disfunction.  The cortisol level was low.  I
am being
 tested tomorrow.  Does this seem realistic to any of you?  Can any thyroid
 meds or HRT affect the adrenal glands? Any info would be appreciated. >>

Doris,
I am also hypo (no Hashimoto's) and hypoadrenal. It is not uncommon, or at
least it is not uncommon in CFS/FMS patients, of which I am.  There is a big
difference between Addison's (primary or chronic hypoadrenalism) and mild
hypoadrenalism or adrenal dysfunction.  I don't know what test your doc uses,
but I had the corstisyn stimulation test, which is very accurate in
determining if you have a cortisol deficiency, which is also easily treated
with low doses of cortisol replacement. I am taking Cortef and have made some
significant improvements.  I was also tested for DHEA levels, as DHEA is also
produced by the adrenals, and as my levels were extremely low.  Due to many
of the negative reports from other subs on their experience with DHEA, I
decided initially to forgo the DHEA.  After much discussion with my doctor, I
started DHEA therapy (10 mg. q.d.) two weeks ago, and I am happy to say I
have had good results.  My doc wanted me to start at 25 mg., but I felt more
comfortable (after much reading) starting out at the lower dose and working
up.  I will double my dose next week and double it again in another two
weeks, going up to 40 mg. q.d.
I will be most interested to hear about your test results and the course of
therapy you and your doctor agree upon.  Please keep us posted.
Blessings,
Ricci