THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betsy Polglase <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:34:14 +0000
Barb Ray wrote:
>I see a number of people have mentioned Nutrisweet and memory loss.

I have been having increasing trouble with this. I have Hashimoto's and am
on .175 mg. Levoxyl.

Does anyone know anything about differences in medication? They changed me
from Levothyroxine to Levoxyl about 4 months ago, and I have been having a
bit of trouble with atrial fibrillation (short periods of heart
palpitations, racing, skipping, and arrythmia)since then.

Changing subjects: I read somewhere recently that a very high fiber diet can
lower the uptake of thyroid medication, thus making more of the drug
necessary. Has anyone else seen information on this?

One of the side effects of the stuff is a craving for sweets
>and after tring diet drinks that contained Nutrisweet the cravings were
>worse than just limiting my intake of sugar.

How interesting...

>One thing that has come in handy is a drug reference book. There is a
>good one put out by a doctor that right now I can not remember the title
>of. Naturally it is at home and I am at work. If anyone wants the title
>just send me an e-mail.

>Something found out from the drug reference book that I was not told by
>my doctor is that long term Synthyroid use can reduce bone mass and that
>a test should be done periodically to check for this. I also take
>Metamucil as a preventative because of colon polyps and this came flush
>things like calcium out of the body compounding the bone loss problem.

I was in the thyroid clinic at one of the Boston hospitals, and they told me
that too much thyroid medication can increase your risk of bone-thinning.

Betsy