THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Berkompas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 09:51:46 +0700
At 12:00 1/25/97, Marta wrote:
> Does anyone know any other alternative treatments for carpal
>tunnel?

Hello Marta and other listers!

I've recently joined this discussion list to get and stay informed about
thryoid problems. I do not have any diagnosed disease--just a low
functioning gland according to simple diagnostics by my naturopathic
doctor.

I wanted to jump in with suggestions for carpal tunnel. I suffered from the
problem for months. I learned that the pain in my wrist--which I blamed on
overuse of the computer mouse--was actually coming from the nerve that
begins in the cervical vertebrae of the neck. The following ideas keep me
free of the problem--thank goodness!

What I have found helpful:
1) Get the middle of your monitor at eye level so you do not have to put
*any* unusual strain on the cervical vertebrae. My painful wrist felt
better within just a few days. Also make sure the height of your computer
chair makes your arms able to rest comfortably to use the keyboard--so you
don't have to raise shoulders to type, etc.

2) Gently stretch the shoulders in all directions. I wish I could draw
these but I pull each arm (from the wrist with the other hand) up and over
my head, behind my back, across my chest. The last one is putting the arm
straight up, bend at the elbow and try to reach the center of your back
between your shoulder blade. I help a little by pushing the elbow with the
other hand. This is a typical swimmer's stretch.

3) Gently stretch the neck in all directions. Most any chiropractor or
physcial therapist can show you these. There are muscles that attach at the
skull and the shoulder blade that need this.

4) Work on strengthening the neck muscles with isometrics and stretches.
Can't draw these either, but they seem to be known by chiros and p.t's
also. I could fax the drawings/instructions to you individually.

5) I find chiropractic treatments for the first 4 cervical vertebraes to be
what helps me the most. My weakest are C1, C2 and C6.

He uses a technique called "cranial vector point" therapy as the main part
of his treatments. My doctor makes overall spinal adjustments without
manipulating the bones or the muscles. It feels really good after--no
residual pain that I commonly have after chiropractic adjustments.

The doc sits at my head, finds 3 main pressure points triangulated (a
word?) from the top of my head. Then he presses firmly on those 3 points
for about 20 minutes or so. Depends on what he feels happening. He
explained that this causes slight movement in the cranial sheath which
affects the entire sheath in our bodies, specifically in and around the
spinal region from which the entire nervous system originates. All the soft
tissues get some action from this correction. I'm not really giving this
proper explanation, but it is another option you might want to consider.
This man has all kinds of success stories to tell and is convinced this is
THE way to do chiropractic.

Just some thoughts and ideas that may hopefully be of help,
Joette