THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:23:36 EST
From:   Michele Redway <[log in to unmask]>
 what is TRT3? I tried searching the archives, but did not
see anything. Also, what were the results that prompted you and your doc to
try it?

You might find more searching the archives under Wilson's Syndrome.  Wilson
created timed release T3, which is simply T3 with a 12 hour time release
agent that requires a compounding pharmacist.

Wilson's protocol calls for cycling up and down on the medication based on
body temperature.  The goal is to get better and not need any thyroid
treatment at all.
It's tied to thyroid hormone restistance.

My wife had escalating blood pressure and a pulse rate in excess of 100
before adequate thyroid treatment.  (She talked the doctor into treating her
thyroid based on symptoms because her TSH was never elevated and got a small
dosage of Synthroid, not enough to make her better.)  Then we went to Dr.
Donald Michael in South Bend, Indiana whose postings you can find in the
archives (in the advanced search type in Dmich for the author and his
postings will come up.)  He switched her to Armour and she kept needing to
increase her dose, but her pulse rate and blood pressure went down to normal,
and her asthma went away.  However, by the time she got up to 18 grains we
knew another course was needed and we persuaded him to try the Wilson's
method.  It was like a miracle for her.  She feels great.  However, after
cycling, she still needed thyroid meds, so she just stays on the timed
release T3 at whatever level she feels well on.  (Yeah, yeah, if you read the
Canadian controversy with David Derry his opponents say thyroid medicine is
like speed if you don't need it.  If that's true speed must be an awful
thing, too much thyroid meds and your heart is too fast, you get really tired
and feel really miserable.  The thought of someone wanting to be on too much
is absurd, there's a point beyond which it doesn't feel good.)  She generally
takes 112.5 mcg twice daily.  I take 75, but it varies because the need for
thyroid hormone seems to vary.  It's known you need more in winter, you
probably need more in times of stress too.  Now that I've cut out the
caffeine my pulse is around 80, and I feel fine.

Skipper Beers