THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 01:00:53 +0800
From: "dave" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 7:10 AM
Subject: my dr is trying to get me off of thyrolar

>  However I think she feels my T3 is too high and might be
> contributing to my higher colestoral.

I beg to disagree. Cholesterol level tends to normalize if it was higher prior
to treatment with thyroid.. One of the reason is due to the increased
metabolism. Cortisol (an adrenal hormone) is likewise moved briskly in the liver
which in turn requires more cholesterol because it is the building block of
adrenal hormones. According to Barnes, BA, the amount of cholesterol we ingest
represents only 25% of the total. The body makes 75% to meet the requirement.
One reason blood cholesterol is high is if there is some deposits already (due
in part to long standing hypothyroidism) in the blood vessels which prevents
the movement of cholesterol inside the lining of blood vessels. Alford, RA
states that as long as there is no calcification of cholesterol deposits in the
blood vessels, these will be re-absorbed over time on proper thyroid dosage.
Even if there is already calcification, there will be absorption that will
produce benefits to the patient. If your cholesterol level is high, the more you
need to be cautious not to get off thyroid treatment; otherwise, damage to the
arterial lining (intima) due to deposits is likely. Vitamin C together with
vitamin E helps maintain the health of the blood vessels.

If is blood sugar that tends to run high during thyroid treatment, but this is
the body's response to the increased metabolism (increased gluconeogenesis--
sugar production).

>  Can elevated T3's cause some significant problems?

Yes, if elevated beyond normal and ther person feels toxic like heart rhythm
problems, wait loss, anxiety, etc. Unless you feel these and other symptoms of
hyper, then, you must be within the level your body needs.

>  Do I have to
> wait longer for a good effect?  Are the mood swings normal?

No, you don't have to waif longer to feel better. You just need to go back to
the previous regimen that is making you feel normal. What you are experiencing
are toxic symptoms which were not present in your former medication. This means
that the ratio of your current mixture of cytomel and Synthroid does not match
that of the T3 and T4 in Thyrolar. Check the dosage and have your doctor match
your thyrolar dosage. Once you've done this, you might start to think why you
were switched to cytomel and synthroid after all. They are the same.

Greg

"When a discovery proves to square with the observable world,
scientists make reputations by confirming it,
and corporations are soon making profits from it"
(Ed Friedlander, Pathologist)

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]