THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:52:12 -0500
> In a message dated 3/23/02 10:11:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > Can thyroid supplementation,   30 yrs. on Synthroid plus 8 yrs on Armour
> > interfere with bone formation?

Peer-reviewed published studies show that episodic improper thyroid
supplementation over a period of time is indeed associated with
osteoporosis. This is the downside of getting too much thyroid hormone.
It's important to get the correct amount.  Unfortunately thyroid is managed
in a lock-step manner and the problems of proper dosage is mostly
overlooked.  I've been on thyroid replacement for 39 years and am
osteoporetic despite an active lifestyle and weight-lifting.  During this
time the treatment has gone from excellent to terrible (due to medical
economics), to the point where I  look out for myself.  I've had multiple
periods of thyrotoxicity (too much replacement) usually upon weight loss
when one needs less thyroid replacement.  Because I've also had atrial
fibrillation for 39 years, my heart is the hallmark of thyrotoxicity, but
nonetheless overlooked by lock-stop medicine.  These periods can result in
osteoporosis.  I've also had periods of severe underreplacement upon
introduction of meds known to interfere with T4 conversion to T3.  The
freeT4 and free T3 tests indeed demonstrated this seemingly unknown
phenomenon.

So if you are on thyroid replacement it is imperative that you work with a
doc who treats the patient and does not operate lockstep the way HMOs would
have it.

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.