THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:16:30 +0800
From: "Skipper Beers" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 1:34 AM
Subject: glucose response may depend on hypothyroid state

> I'm starting to think a little about insulin resistance and
hypoglycemia.  I
> don't know much about either yet.  However, I came across some
interesting
> information of the Thyroid Manager.  One person recently told what
different
> effects food had such as wheat, whether brown or white had the effect
of
> candy

Barnes notably pointed out a long forgotten fact about the effects of
various foodstuffs and recommended that physicians visit cattle farms to
have a better understanding. His observation cites that some cattle
farmers in their desire to fatten the animals tried to feed them with
the excess fat from production that would have turned into waste. They
got the surprise of their lives when the cattle started losing weight!
You won't see a cattle farm feeding the herd with fat but rather cereals
and other high carb feeds.

> >From the Thyroid manager:
> <quote>

> Carbohydrate metabolism. Glucose is absorbed from the intestine at a
slower
> rate than normal. Fasting plasma glucose values are on average lower
than
> normal 6,7. The oral glucose tolerance test usually produces a low
peak value
> that remains elevated at 2 hours. This response does not resemble that
> encountered in diabetes mellitus and is probably related to slow
gastric
> motility and delayed absorption.

Barnes demonstrated the slow transit time of carbohydrate food vs. fatty
food by way of Barium X-rays. The model he proposed for the high Glucose
Tolerance Test and high Insulin release is based on the above
observation. Due to a longer dwell time in the gut, carbohydrates tend
to stimulate further release of insulin. Barnes likewise demonstrated
that people who exhibit an Impaired Oral Glucose Tolerance at two hours
so not show the anomaly if a Venous Glucose Tolerance is used.

Greg

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]