THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michaelmd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:51:53 EST
In a message dated 2/15/02 2:41:36 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I started taking Bio/Throid a couple of months ago.  I|m taking 2 gr per day
> / should I take 2 gr in the morning / or should I take it twice a day. >>>>

I usually tell my patients to experiment and see which way works better for
them. Traditionally, medications that have only T4 in them are given in one
lump/day. But, I have had several patients who feel better when they divide
the medication up. This makes sense to me, because our thyroid doesn't dump
out a whole day's supply of hormone all at once, and go back to sleep for 24
hours...

Anytime I am giving anything that has T3 in it, I usually suggest that people
take it in divided doses, at least at first. Some feel that this is the best
way because T3 has a shorter half life. But, I used to take my 9 grains of
Thyrolar (T3+T4) all at once, and did OK. I divide it up now, and the only
advantage that I get is a bit of a lift in the afternoon.

Again, I would suggest that my patients try it both ways (after I feel
comfortable that they won't have trouble with T3), and pick the way that
works best for them. The older I get, the more I realize that there is no
simple formula that will work for everyone, and that there is NO substitute
for listening to what the patient says.

When you think about it, the patient has access to the way they feel and
function every hour of their lives, and they have a vested interest in
getting their medication exactly right. This has got to be more valuable
information than some lab slip or what the doc can glean in 10 minutes.

Doc Don

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]