THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Maggi Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:42:53 EST
Thought I would put in my 2 cents.  Was dx hyper in 96.  Took PTU for 8
months and it reacted badly. My liver became inflammed and my immune system
shut down. I've read the PTU kills killer 'T" cells and at the time, I didn't
know I had Hepatitis C. Had the RAI in 97. My TSh was 147 within 6 weeks.
Couldn't get doctor appt. before then and of course, wasn't given anything
for adrenal fatigue and handed synthroid with zero instructions.  My family
doc put me on armour right away, and I used that until 2 years ago. It took 3
years to figure out the correct dose but when I finally thought I had it, I
lost 20 lbs felt great, all symptoms went away, I treated the Hep C with
vitamins/herbs and calmed down the inflammation and thought I was recovered.
However, by the 4th month on what I thought was the correct dose, everything
got of sync again including this time, other hormones.  Too hyper, cut back,
hypo take more and so on.  Since I had stabalized on Armour before, I thought
it was everything BUT the armour.  Currently, after yet another 2 yrs., I
take a mix of levothroid and armour. 75mg of Lev. and 30mg of armour.  I am
still playing with that too however, but I am within mgs., of having it.  It
turns out, the T4/ T3 ratio in armour might be ok for pigs but after a time,
I couldn't use it.  In other words, it worked to get the TSH to the God
almighty one number but I could not keep it there. Free T3 was way too high
and Free T4 was below normal. Which getting back to doctors, they had never
run these tests on me and I called some very wise docs in Boca Fl., that only
cost me 200.0o, to find this out. Argg.  That is the problem I had with
Armour.  As far as RAI?  I would never, had I known then what I know now,
have jumped into that.  But, I had never been sick, never really even seen a
doctor and was in full trust. Big mistake!  I am now going on my 6th year of
trying to get the meds right.  I did take natural adrenal extract and cured
that problem but this long bout of hypo/hypo has left numerous acne scars on
my face.  Still have a problem with that too.  I've lost half of my hair but
thankfully I had tons to start with.  I have itched myself to bleeding and
have wonderful scars from that as well. Everywhere I might add. Very strange
skin things with me but I know not everyone is affected like I am with that
problem.  Hot, burning, sweating feet.  After several years of virtually zero
sleep, Or nothing but sleeping, I finally broke down and started on 0.5mg of
xanax. Not happy about this either because now, when I am better, I have to
get off of those and it won't be fun I don't imagine.  In conclusion, I don't
know many that are happy with RAI and most wish they would have investigated
anything and everything before opting for that. I know several people that
have had problems with the T4/T3 ratio of armour but many love it.  Hives?
Liver disease causes itching, thyroid both hyper and hypo causes itching and
I may be destined to itch the rest of my life but I sure hope not!
Maggi

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]