THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Annette van Geel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 23:25:01 +0200
Hello Cathy,

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease october '99 (hyper).
The disease with its symtomes started some 4 months after
our daughter Emma was born. I had Iodine 131 treatment
in June 2000. But 5 months later when the final labresults
came in, my thyroid was still hyper. In November 2000 I
became pregnant again, and I was very concerned about the
effects it would have on our baby. Our doctor decided she
rather not start any form of (medicine-)treatment (there
is one that is 'safe'; I believe its called PTU) but have
me tested every month on TSH, T3 and T4. As for the risks
of hyperthyroid during pregnancy, she reassured me.
(I don't recall what she said, but I left her practice
feeling relieved!). So, every month I came in for labwork
and I had to see her every month (bloodpressure, weight,
puls and a small chat). My Gynecologist checked everything
as well (baby's hartrate among others). During my pregnancy
TSH, T3 and T4 - to our surprise - steadely became more and
more normal with the last check one month ago: normal!
How things will develop in the future we will have to see:
my next check will be 26 October 2001. Will levels drop into
a hypo? Will levels stay normal? We just don't know.

Anyway: one and a half weeks ago - 26 August - I delivered
a beautifull baby girl named Grace. She looks allright and
healthy. The pediatrician which was called in to check her
said she looked just fine, and had her TSH, T3 and T4 levels
checked. All results were normal. Now she wants to check
Grace for Thyroid antibodies (which I have) for the next
6 weeks. On August 30 the first results for Thyroid
antibodies came back: normal. Still 5 weeks to go, but it
looks promising, does it not?

I hope your sister has a happy pregnancy and good luck to her!

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid Account
  1 To talk with 500+ people <[log in to unmask]>
  2 To change your account  <[log in to unmask]>
  3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
    Adjust your own account http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid
If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
    <http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html> and ask again!