THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:07:55 EDT
>  From:    Donald Michaelmd <[log in to unmask]>
For those of you who said they lost hope when Doc Don mentioned he had a
group of patients who were better not well, below he gives a good description
of going from "better, not well" back to where you used to be.  "Better not
well" is a place where you can live and work, back where you came from is
really hard to remember because you were sleeping too much to even complain
about how tired you were.  You were trying  real hard to get out some work,
but just stared at the computer moniter for 9 of those 10 hours you were
"working."  Everything was a blue, went by quickly and passed you by.  The
doctor said you were normal so no use worrying about it, anyway.

Yes, "better, not well"  is a tolerable place to be, I spent a long time
there and now may actually be on the path to "well."  That other place before
"better, not well" is one I will avoid at all costs.  There is probably never
a choice just between thyrotoxicosis and extreme hypothyrodisism. It's a
matter of finding out what really works, but I tell you that there's no
question the extreme hypothyroidsm side is the same as a living death.  And
that's where many doctors try to keep us so our death certificate can list
congestive heart disease, or some other hypothyrodism caused illness which
the medical profession doesn't recognize as being related, and not
thyrotoxicosis for which they would be considered directly responsible.
(Assuming thyrotoxicosis can cause death, I heard about someone taking a huge
amount of thyroid, and he lived, so I suppose I believe it's a possibility
because that's what the medical community says.  Didn't David Derry say the
sum total of people dying each year from a thyroid overdose is -0-?  If that
is true, and it may be the other side of that equation is not.  Many, many
people do die each year from a thyroid underdosage.

>  The war really is hell. It saps your will to fight, and drains your mind
and
>  soul. Somehow, people are managing to wage a good war.
>
>  I started the Wilson's protocol on myself, so was back to hypothyroidism
for
>  a bit. The flashbacks scared the heck out of me. Being hypothyroid, for me,
>  is that blend of lethargy, pleasure in going to sleep, and an inability to
>  mobilize enough energy to get out of a burning building until one sees the
>  flames.
>
>  It vividly brought back memories of lost years, depression, fatigue, and
> lack
>  of awareness that make fighting back almost impossible. I was ready to quit
>  at the beginning of the past week except: 1. My wife said she was only on a
>  bit more sustained release T3 than I, and felt "pretty good;" 2. I had
>  isolated moments of having enough energy and not hurting, over the past
>  weeks; and 3. I didn't want to face patients, and say that I was putting
> them
>  on something that I couldn't stand. (I don't know, but I didn't feel right
>  about it.)

Hopefully, Wilson's works for him, I can tell you there has been a definite
improve for my wife and I.

Skipper Beers

  If you "Reply" to a message, and fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid account
1 Talk to many thyroid people  <[log in to unmask]>
 2 Control your account       <[log in to unmask]>
   3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
Account control <A HREF="http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/">X</A>
Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html and ask again!