THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Slater, Jill M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:19:30 -0700
Hi all,
I searched the archives for obstructive sleep apnea but I couldn't find
anything but just plain, regular sleep apnea.  Is this the same thing?

My brother has been diagnosed with a severe case of obstructive sleep apnea.
Does anyone have obstructive sleep apnea? I've been trying to convince him
to see Doc Don.  I think he's on the verge.  He's seeing how stupid/ignorant
the medical profession is.  He wanted to give them an honest chance to help
him and he is experiencing what most of us already have.

I've forwarded a bunch of messages from this group that talked about sleep
apnea.  He is under the impression his is different because he has an
obstruction.  According to his endo, his obstruction is from excess fatty
tissue in the neck (could that explain his significant increase in neck size
over a short period of time?) .  His endo also said he has excess fatty
tissue in his shoulders.  He stopped using the machine because it didn't
help.  The endo also checked for a goiter and found none.  Since the endo
couldn't help him, he went to a D.O.  She is currently running some tests
and is more open to suggestions and reading material than his endo or PCP.
However, she said that he may need surgery for his sleep apnea and after
that is fixed, if he still has problems, then they will need to pursue other
avenues.

Some other symptoms:  high cholesterol (210 - currently taking medication
for high cholesterol), fatigued and exhausted most of the time, weight gain,
can't sleep.  He is 43 years old.  We also have a family history of heart
disease and diabetes.

Here are some results from the blood tests ordered by his endo along with
the range in parentheses.
Negative for antibodies
TSH: 1.07 (.35 - 5.5)
FT3: 3.01 ( 2.2 - 4.2)
FT4: 1.31 (.8 - 1.5)
His 24-hour urine cortisol test showed in the normal range; however, it was
at the low end of normal
TPO: .7 (<2)
FSH: 4.7 (2 - 12)
LH: 4.5 (2 - 12)
LH/FSH: 1 (<2)
Prolactin: 9 (2 - 18)
Testosterone: 557 (241-827)

His endo said his thyroid is functioning just fine and that it had to be
something else.  With a history of thyroid disease (grandmother,
grandmother's sister, mother, mother's four sisters, his two sisters,
nephew, etc..) I'm convinced he has a thyroid deficiency.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc.  that I can forward to him?  Has
anyone ever had surgery for obstructive sleep apnea?  Was it a success?

Thanks for your help.
Jill

  If you "Reply" to a message, and fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid account
1 Talk to many thyroid people  <[log in to unmask]>
 2 Control your account       <[log in to unmask]>
   3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
Account control <A HREF="http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/">X</A>
Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html and ask again!