THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:06:46 EDT
> BubbaMugs <[log in to unmask]>

>.  It was needless to say, a waste of my time.   She actually
>  said, "Well, I hear what your saying, but I think your TSH looks really
>  good.  All those problems must be something else...is there any possibility
>  that...that maybe you're just depressed?"

Two things, 1) That's why I recommend Doc Don for desperate people and 2) For
those who have no way of affording the trip that's why I say make use of the
phone.  You do have a right to call the doctor and ask some questions to see
if it's worth the trip.  Before I went to a doctor for my thyroid I would ask
the following questions:
1.  Do you prescribe Armour thyroid (if not, even if one doesn't need it no
flexibility.)
2.  Are you willing to read things I think apply to my medical condition.
(It's the only way to learn if the doctor doesnt' know everything and he/she
doesn't.)
3.  If I have normal TSH and a long list of hypothryoid symptoms is it
possible I'm hypothryoid?

These three questions will save time and money before seeing any local doctor
or endo.  If you can't call his/office and ask these questions, at least of
the nurse so she can ask him and the office can call you back, what does this
tell you about his willingness to do anything for your benefit?

Question number is a tentative one that is more likely to rule out an endo
than a family doctor depending partially on how they answer question number
2.  I choose my current family doctor when my oldest son was close to coma, I
discovered from the Magic Foundation web site that lack of appetite (it says
with increased weight, he was a skeleton and I didnt' take that as the only
possibility, reading the decreased appetite was a hypo symptom was quite
enough,) and change in rate of growth were primary signs of hypothyrodiism in
childhood.  (Note, I also ignored their comments on getting the labs, they
are irrelevant.)  Within the hour of my family doctor refusing to treat based
on these symptoms, I called Doc Don and made an appointment.  He immediately
called in the labs, I took him for all 6 vials of blood drawn (did you ever
wonder why someone who keeps saying labs are only 5% of the diagnosis takes
more labs than the doctors who say labs, particularly TSH is everything, not
to mention makes the lab technicians actually have to spend time looking
things up?)  When Doc Don got the labs back he called right away.  My son's
TSH was "significantly" elevated. That meant the normal top end was 5.5.  His
was 5.6.  So, in three years it had elevated as Dr. David Derry says is
common over a period of years, from 2.2 in 1997 to 5.6 in 2000.   That was
the point I found my new family doctor, I had seen my mother go into a coma
in 1996 and suddenly start getting synthroid, finally and when far too late,
I had started to worry with my son's declining health that the  same thing
would happen to him so I called some local doctors and picked the one who
prescribed Armour and the receptionist told me when I asked if he would read
what I gave him, the nurse said he was always reading articles.  The term
"always reading articles" was music to my ears, I was beginning to wonder if
there were doctors who bothered reading after medical school.  So, I took my
son to him, with even a tiny elevation I knew I could easily get him treated
even though I've heard horror stories of some doctors stupid enough to not
treat until TSH reaches 10.  (Since over 5.5 is where only 2.25% of the
population reaches by definition what's 10, the worst 1%?)

The point in the above paragraph is since my doctor was willing to read and
prides himself on working with patients, not only did he treat my son who was
close to coma or death (and also sees Doc Don), but in spite of making a
comment on our first meeting when I made some comment about patients possibly
being hypothryoid without elevated TSH, he said that was "iffy" , in spite of
that he treated my daughter with some symptoms and when it came to my son who
was at the 90th percentile in height, always has an alert energy about him,
and I would expect very few doctors, maybe even not Doc Don to recognize as
hypo, he was good enough to read the interview of Dr. David Derry by Mary
Shomon regarding TSH, and because of his willingness to work with the
patient, this was good enough information to allow him to treat that son too.
 His first day on Armour, his symptoms improved.  The Magic Foundation
website says hypothyroidsim in children is slow, insidious, and very hard to
diagnose.

They are correct, it can be very sneaky in children and start with mild
symptoms that just keep getting worse.  If parents work too much outside the
home to keep an eye on their children, or if not observant, parents aren't
going to see the symptoms, let alone the doctors.   When my wife pointed out
to me what my son was doing, I had no doubt what his problem was, after
sending Doc Don an e-mail to make sure it was possible that a child near the
top of the growth chart with pesky energy could actually be hypo. (I've heard
a few people say Doc Don's fees were a bit high but in comparison to other
chronic fatigue experts like Dr. Jacob Teitalbaum charging, I think $5,000  a
visit, and the fact that patients have access to Doc Don  via phone, he
participates on the listserv to help us, and unlike our local doctors instead
of saying we need a medication increase it's likely we can just make a quick
call to his office and not have to pay $80 for two or three visits to see if
our meds need to be adjusted, it just may come out to be more economical than
the local doctor) ,  He  said, "take the temperatures.":  I did.  And because
my local doctor was willing to read and work with us, he was happy to treat
him, when he had the Derry article and the logical reasons why.  So, the
knowledge level may not be the most important thing for a doctor but the
willingness to work with the patient as well as the willingness to learn.

So, as a short summary to this posting, call and make relevant questions
before any doctor visit.  Doing so will save you a bundle.

Skipper Beers

  If you "Reply" to a message, and fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, your message cannot be distributed.

If we're not currently talking about what *YOU* want to hear about,
why not ask a question? Or make a statement about your own "favorite"
topic? To be prepared, you might want to search the Thyroid Archives
http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html to see what has been said
before about any thyroid-related topic.