THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BubbaMugs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:41:52 -0400
Hi group,
    Well, I had an appointment with my "new" Endo yesterday.  I came armed
with some labs from the last few months and the checklist from Mary Shomon's
web page on Hypothyroid.  It was needless to say, a waste of my time.  This
Dr was young and nice.  She did listen but only superficially.  She actually
said, "Well, I hear what your saying, but I think your TSH looks really
good.  All those problems must be something else...is there any possibility
that...that maybe you're just depressed?"  AGH!  So, my response was, "Well,
does depression cause fluid retention?"  She poo-pooed my edema saying she
had seen much worse in other people (with obvious hypothyroidism) and
judging by my ankles she thought it was mild.  It didn't matter to her that
I haven't been able to wear my wedding rings in over 4 months..."I'm not
trying to minimize your symptoms.  I just think since your TSH is quite
normal....even a little low....that your primary care DR needs to look
further into the edema.  It's quite possibly something else".  Well, I
actually did come prepared with that and handed her a lab slip that showed a
normal 24 hour urine and perfectly fine kidney function tests.  When I
pressed her and asked what it possibly could be she only responded that she
was sure it wasn't thyroid related!!!!!!!!!  AGH!!!!
    Fortunately, I had brought my husband with me for moral support (and so
he could see how the DR's just wont listen to me!).  He pressed her when she
gingerly suggested depression again and asked if it was possible that the
hypo symptoms (being tired all the time, having no energy, and unable to
focus on things) were causing the depression symptoms.  She clearly avoided
the issue and stood firm on her TSH altar!  The only other different test
she ordered was an FSH.  She didn't elaborate on why and I probably wouldn't
have listened to her at this point anyway.
    What do I do now?  What do I do now that the 3 Top Docs in my area are
NOT accepting patients and none of the "good" Endos are listening to me?
I'm beginning to feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone of Thyroid Disease.
KAL/Mass

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.