THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:57:21 EDT
>  "Jackie.Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
>  Subject: Re:
>
>    I saw a neurologist in June who
>  diagnosed a problem, uncontrolled muscle movements in my left hand and arm,
>  as something triggered by the thyroid going haywire and she suggested I
have
>  the endo put me on T3.
Amazing.  A doctor who actually diagnosis the cause of a condition instead of
how to treat the symptom.  I limped from years until I went on Armour, the
family doctor or podiatrist never mentioned "plantar fascitis" as being a
thryoid problem, when it got better on Armour the podiatrist said that meant
it had been a nerve problem, which is real common in hypothyroid people.

>I have an appointment with my helpful, but cautious, endo next month-how do
>  I convince her to try using T3 on me?

Don't try to hard.  I will tell you frequently the cost of going to see Doc
Don, even if you have to travel is a lot cheaper than the doctor bills you
incur by not doing so.  He's very good, however like any doctor he can't help
everybody.  And some of his patients have gotten "better but not well" which
he mentioned recently and people were highly disappointed.  However, the
difference is with regular doctors those patients were non-functional.  Hard
to work or do anything in the state they are willing to leave you.  "Better"
can still be functional and much better than the ":practically dead" state my
family doctor was happy to leave me and my son in.

You can mail her a few things in advance to why you are going to ask for the
specific treatment so you can discuss it.  I've done that with my doctor on a
couple occassions.  However, female doctors are not necessarily more caring
and sometime they deserve the b***h term unequivocably.  I wrote one letter
to my female doctor which was actually about my wife and how much it sounded
like the description of Wilson's Syndrome and she sent me a return mail,
"When did you become an MD?"  She was a little apologetic after than ,blamed
it on allergy shots but I should have left then.  My son had what I found
eventually to be classic hypo symptoms and was close to coma or death and she
still refused to treat in spite of good information from the wib site of The
Magic Foundation , a clinic specializing in children's growth issues, that
described it perfectly.  DON''T stay with a doctor who won't work with you.
It's a quality of life issue.  If you have a treatment, it's not risky the
doctor should go along with it.  And T3 IS NOT risky, if they doctor thinks
it is, then leave.

If you leave go to Doc Don or call the doctors in your local area, ask their
office if they use T3 products and if they will do the specific treatment you
think is right for you.  Any visitation of a doctor, to find out if he will
treat you the way you want only costs you money.  I found a good local doctor
this way maybe you can too.  Since I knew what I needed and wanted it was
easy, as long as it was logical and I knew the risks he thought it was ok.
And he may now treat people with thyroid problems a little differently
because of me.  He was really impressed that on 6 grains of armour I had no
signs of thyroitoxicosis (real signs not labs.)  He had thought I would be
hyper and have rapid heart rate and the other symptoms.  I didn't .

So, if you have an idea of what you need, and you might very well from
reading this list, then find a local doctor.  If you are still unsure visit
Doc Don or another Top Doc from Mary Shomon's list, after calling and
checking them out.  There may be one close to you.  However, being on her
list doesn't automatically mean they use T3.

One other point, if you've been reading about Wilson's and T3 lately and want
to opt for that treatment, which I highly recommend but can only do so from a
short time on it, and who knows what will happen over the next few months,
get the Doctor's manual because you have to be well informed especially if
it's not Doc Don you are going to.  Many doctors give up on the treatment or
become afraid of it midstream.  However, I feel lbetter than I have in
decades.

Skipper Beers

skipper Beers

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid Account
  1 To talk with 500+ people <[log in to unmask]>
  2 To change your account  <[log in to unmask]>
  3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
    Adjust your own account http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid
If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
    <http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html> and ask again!