EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:30:22 GMT
Hi Richard,

Suppose the speech is sampled at 22kHz, with 8 bit samples.
That means 22k bytes per second.
Suppose the speech is at 160 words per minute.
That means 8/3 words per second, or about 16 bytes per second.
So the expansion by speaking is well over 1000 times.
Suppose that the audio file is compressed by a factor of 10.
The audio is still over 100 times the size of the text file.

Now when the student wants to search for something in the middle
of the text file, they can can get to it immediately, whereas
they might have to listen through half the audio file.
 So why is this the future?

Surely it's better to have the speech generated on demand.
Also, with a text reader like WordAloud, you can step through
the text backwards and forwards: a word, sentence, paragraph,
or section at a time.  And you can edit the text and remove
scanning errors.

QED - I rest my case.

John

P.S. You can download WordAloud from www.wordaloud.co.uk for free.
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk