From:
Tomas Santos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 06:38:46 -0800
Fetch yourself a copy of "End It All" (freeware) & use it to turn off all running processes running in the background prior to starting your defragmentation. Untick "Rearrange program files so my programs start faster" if you want to spare you HDD all the unnecessary wear & tear. A few nanoseconds difference in startups is useless, IMO.

http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/enditall.htm

If you can get "defrag.exe" from a Win ME system & replace your existing defrag with the ME version, it will run much faster, by far!  You'll be glad you did!
Just replace ME version for yours(in Win98&98/SE).

Tomas Santos
In elementary school, in case of fire you have to line up quietly in a single file line from smallest to tallest. What is the logic? Do tall people burn slower?.....