From:
Fawn Bales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:20:22 -0400
>>Why not use your body instead of your brain, or at least in addition
to it
>>for a while by doing perfect paleo, even if it is not a perfect diet?

Marianne responds:
***oh boy, now I'm being told what to do! I was looking for opinions,
not
instructions on my eating habits or priorities. I'll say again: if fat
is to
be 30 or 40% of my daily calories, it is important to me to get that as
close to right as possible. I feel that has much more weight than eating
little chocolate once in awhile and I'm comfortable eating that
chocolate.

My personal opinion is that it is definitely best for us to eat "close
to natural", but with the caveat that if we don't eat a little chocolate
ONCE IN A WHILE - then we will never actually evolve to be able to eat
it.

Good for us as it is, who wants us, as a species, to be nailed down to
paleothic diet, when we know that it won't be possible to eat that way
for rest of our history.  Eventually, we are going to have to be able to
eat what is available NOW and in the future, and NEVER EVER consuming
any of those things will not get the job done.

It is probably better for both the adaptation of the individual and the
species that non-paleo foods be occasionally eaten and enjoyed, much
like an innoculation.

Fawn