Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:14:23 -0600
Hi,

        I reported a few days ago that I felt better on Rachel's suggestion of:
small portions of meat, low fat, liver supplements, and high carb.  I
seemed to have less diarrhoea and gas.  Well, it only lasted two days
before the gas/bloating/diarrhoea symptoms came back worse than
before.  So, I made a list of the foods that bothered my digestive system:

        Grapes, Granny Smith apples, plums, peaches, apricots, pluots,
strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, dates, cherries,
pineapple, almonds, tomatoes, oranges,  avocado, wine, tea.

        Whilst researching, I came across a site which showed foods high in
salicylates.  Just about every one of my 'danger' foods was on the list.

        "Feingold lists the foods which are high in salicylates as being Almonds,
Apples, Apricots, Berries (all), Cherries, Chili
           powder, Cider & cider vinegar (apples), Cloves, Coffee,
Cucumbers & pickles, Currants, Grapes & raisins, Nectarines,
           Oranges, Paprika, Peaches, Peppers (bell & chili), Plums,
prunes, Tangerines, Tea, Tomatoes, Wine & wine vinegar
           (grapes), Oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate). Plus they
suggest avoiding all foods which list "natural flavors" or
           "natural colours" as these are quite likely to contain
salicylates." -
http://www.autismawakening.com/autismawakeningdietinvervention/id10.html

        The ones that weren't on Feingold's list, were on this list:

        http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Food/Salicylate.html

        Last night, I just had fish, brussels sprouts, a golden delicious apple,
and a banana.  I had no significant digestive problems this morning; this
has only happened once or twice since I began the paleo diet.

        This doesn't mean that I don't have liver problems.  I'll keep the protein
portions small, keep taking the liver supplements, and also avoid foods
high in salicylates.  (wow, what a limited diet).

        I hope this information helps someone.  I will report back in a week or so
and see if this diet continues to aid me.

        Kat.