CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:20:57 EST
Bob and others,

Israel is a secular, bourgeois democracy no different from the countries of
Western Europe and the United States. This is part of the propaganda that is
issued by the U.S. and its media when it speaks of Israel being "the only
free state in the Middle East." You are referring to the Israeli "right of
return," which grants automatic citizenship to people who prove they are
Jewish. But this has nothing to do with religion or going to temple, but
lineage. As far as citizenship, technically anyone can apply within certain
parameters (as with the United States).

Israel is only a "Jewish state" to the extent that the United States is a
"Christian state." True, in both places, a religious right have a good deal
of play in mainstream politics.

But the issue is not one of "Judaism vs. Christianity" or the "millenias-old
battle of faiths" as the capitalist darlings want to paint it. It is a
national issue, based on ethnic sovereignty.

Alister-- considering the issue of "second class citizenship," you might want
to look at the way African Jews have been treated by the Zionist entity and
their relative status in that society.

-- David