C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 04:22:19 -0800
What I wonder is how it ever got past the approval
stage with the  building commission in regards to ADA.
We built( ok hubby did) our house over 16 years ago.
Obviously a private residence with less legal
restricitions in regard to ADA. We could NOT get an
occupancy permit until all handrails were handicapped
ok'd( no open ends) and we had to place handrails
where there were none in the  blueprints to comply
with the accessibility issue.We were even approved for
a small elevator from the  basement( house is built
into a hill thus lots of steps to get to the actual
living area)to the  main floor that had to be approved
for ADA. How did a big NEW and PUBLIC building get
approval without meeting accessibilty issues?
Joanne