BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Store owner in Olympia: "Albanians say 'Hungry bear do not dance.'"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:21:37 +1000
Eric

> A similar scenario that makes me chuckle is that
> Edward Durell Stone's (infamous for thin panel
> Carrara marble facades like Amoco Bldg, Chicago and
> Kennedy Center, Washington DC) son is a landscape
> architect in Florida. A state famous for
> crushed marble paved front yards.

If this makes you chuckle, then I really better had
post a couple of pictures on Pighabit-L.

After they stripped the bent marble off Finlandia Hall
(Helsinki, Alvar Aalto) in the late '90s, as mentioned
in an earlier post, they disposed of it in all sorts
of creative ways.  I have a small fragment on my desk
with a screenprinted photograph of the Hall under
repair ... purchased as a souvenir from the gift shop
at Finlandia Hall in 1999.  In 2001 when I visited, I
found a new sculpture garden out the back with a great
sculpture by a Japanese sculptor.  It comprised a row
of circular steel baskets, similar to the gabion cages
used in sea walls, filled to overflowing with
fragments of marble panels from the facade of
Finlandia Hall.

If that's all it is good for, then why put it up in
the first place?

Cheers

david

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions