BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Store owner in Olympia: "Albanians say 'Hungry bear do not dance.'"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:12:02 -0500
Sounds to me like you have good quality, well laid brownstone everywhere
EXCEPT that one column. That one appears to be face bedded and not of the
best quality for "this" installation. I have used consolidation with
Conservare chemicals (I can never remember which one specifically) from
ProSoCo which have held up well (about 8 years) on high relief detailed
carvings, have also patched with Mr. Edison's products about 15 years ago
(holding up well I might add), dutchmans, and replacements.

I typically try to retain the original in the current state if possible and
if you can continue to help maintain it - consolidants don't last long. But
in my opinion, depending on how deteriorated the stone is, I would recommend
replacement as the longest lasting "repair".

Please let us know which direction you go and why.

Thanks,

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Associate