From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:30:45 -0700
> Ranchers insist that the government
> regulate the presence of
> coyotes, wolves, bears (black and grizzle), mountain
> lions and lynxes, and

Not the ranchers I know. Most of them would be happy
if the Federal Government didn't exist.

For years and years cattlemen and wolves (as an
example) lived side by side with nary a problem - the
wolves actually prefer munching on wild game, and will
avoid 'settled' areas whenever possible. However, over
the past few decades we (humans) have been encroaching
on what has traditionally been the wolves' territory.
Yellowstone Park, for instance, is now literally
surrounded by 'civilization' - there's simply no place
for animals to migrate. Where the wolf once had
hundreds of thousands of acres to roam, it now has a
few thousand at best. Is it no wonder wolves
are now 'trespassing' on private land and partaking of
whatever food they can find there?

There is a movement to create 'corridors' between wild
areas so that animals can migrate more easily than in
the recent past. If the plan works, then the incidents
of predation should diminish.