From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:40:34 -0700
I wrote:

> Perhaps
> >raise a few pigs or goats for me, and some 'wilder'
> >veggies and grains for you, eh?

Amadeus replied:

> Yes ok. Deal.
> And I want a lot of nut and fruit trees please.

That's an excellent point. In a 'free-range'
environment you could have plenty of fruit and nut
trees (depending on the area), as well as a variety of
other edible plants that are (hopefully) native to
that particular environment. (Might have to skip the
goats though - they tend to eat everything and the
trees wouldn't be immune :)

Unfortunately, in the 'alpine' regions around here it
gets far to0 cold for most fruit bearing trees, and
definitely too cold for any nut bearing tree except,
perhaps, the pine (are you a fan of pine nuts?). But -
there are a number of wild edibles (berries and such)
that could be 'cultivated' right along with the
grazing animals. Much too short a growing season for
much else.

In any case, I believe a case could be made for a
sustainable grazing/permaculture scenario that could
sustain large groups of people.