From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:10:44 -0500
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:57:01 +1000, Phosphor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>no, its just mostly not asimilated, about 98% lost. consquently most of the
>3rd world, which relies heavily on plant foods, is anemic.

So where did you get this number from?
It's possible for such people who are already overloaded with heme iron
with it's implied health risk the body tries to reduce.

If third world people are anemic, the reason is to be searched in the very
poor nutrition quantity (and variety) these poor people suffer from.
And this has a lot to do with our first world exploitation of their
resources. Among other reasons also by production of factory farm fedder in
the third world for the "premium" worlds.

If so much iron would be lost vegetarians and vegans should all be anemic.
However how would you explain *my* blood iron value of 137 ?
The reference 35 to 186. Do you think I'm the single absorption wonder?

>the best veetable source is
>an
>order of magnitude less than liver.

That's right. That's the reason why you can die from eating too much liver
(actually one of the reasons).

>as its produced only by UV-B, outside of the tropics and subtropics it is
>futile to hope for geting it from the sun. more death-camp stuff.

I guess this is the reason why all the inland people of europe, africa,
china or all world zone north or south of the subtropics for the last
100,000 years,  who never eat any vitamin D containing fish liver their
whole live developed so bad.
Or didn't they?

>i think selenium deficency is an issue almost everywhere.

Due to mass agriculture which depletes the soils. Selenium depleted plants
and animals.

>the Tarahumara health status [ie about the worst in the world]highlighted
>this. legumes+cereals provides little compensatory value.  as does the
>kwashiorkor in africa when children must rely on a pitiful pig-food diet of
>maize and legumes.

kwashiorkor: protein malnutrition
"Kwashiorkor occurs most commonly in areas of famine, limited food supply,
and low levels of education leading to inadequate knowledge of diet and
feeding techniques."
"Adequate diet with appropriate amounts of carbohydrate, fat (minimum of 10
percent of total calories), and protein (12 percent of total calories) will
 prevent kwashiorkor."

These poor people simply suffer from eating not enough food.
Note that Africa and South America exports mass animal fedder instead of
producing more food for their own people.

Would they not eat the maize directely but feed it to pigs or other animals
90% would be lost. 90% of the people would die from having *no* food at all
and the rest 10% remain with kwashiorkor.

What was your suggestion?

Now stop the resting. Your turn to list up how much emus, emu eggs, kangaroo
and grubs Australian aboriginals eat everyday, the whole year round.

Amadeus