Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:44:04 -0700
> Now can someone give me a list of veggies that fit a "starch"
profileustive list.

You are going to find several types of carbs in just about every vegie and
most fruits. Again the book "Breaking the vicious cycle" (which is a book to
help people with intestinal disorders) is probably the best for the
layperson in terms of drawing the line somewhere (starch/low starch) in
foods.

> Finally, does anyone know why some of these are relatively low on the
> glycemic index and others high?   Independent of fiber, is it the
proportion
> of amylose to amylopectin?
>
> Theola

Since we only absorb monosaccharides we have to digest the disaccharides and
polysaccharides (starches) with water and enzymes (diacchariedases). In
other words we have to split those chemical bonds to get down to
monosaccharides to absorb them. This takes time so there is less of an
insulin response or a slower response. Now the theory is that more sugars
are left in the intestine for microbes to munch on thus producing endotoxins
and gas.
YMMV