From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 13:29:30 -0400
Katy & Ron wrote:

> > The grains just have to be freshly milled and added to the food.
>
> What?  Milled?  like....as in ground up?  Why do that?  Feed them whole.
> Of course, MAYBE chickens can't utelize the nutrients if they are fed whole, but
> my chickens will get them whole unless I learn its better to grind them.

I give them whole to my chickens. Chickens have stones in their gizzard
to grind seeds for digestion. Just be sure your chickens have access to
grit, or small stones, and they will supposedly eat what they need. We
bought a bag of small rough granite grit that is made just for chickens,
and which should be enough for a lifetime (human lifetime, not chicken).
I would think you could tell whether the birds are digesting the seeds
by analyzing some of what comes out the far end.