From:
Katy & Ron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 10:55:44 -0500
From: "Amadeus Schmidt" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [P-F] Flax as ckn/cattle feed

> I've never experienced rancidity of the oil inside a flax grain.

My "whole foods" store sells the whole flax seed  from their refrigerator case.
I wonder why they are doing this?  I guess I've always just "believed" we had to
keep flax seed differently than other "grains".  I have even kept mine in the
freezer.

I live near grain elevators...so went to one yesterday.  They usually don't
handle
flax seed, but did have two 50# sacks of 2 yr old "seed" quality flax seed
(kept in their own grainery).  (a customer had ordered it and then decided he
didn't want them).  I said I'd buy them if they weren't rancid.
So he opened a sack and I ate some.  Tasted real good to me!!!!
I know wheat can be kept for years, as long as its not allowed to get real hot
and kept at proper humidity (or lack of)...and as long as insects can't get at
it.

So maybe flax seed is also like this?

I'm no expert in this, other than to taste it and trust my own tastebuds.
So, now I'm wondering if other basic nutrients are badly degraded from 2 yrs of
age?   If it was (is), I couldn't taste it!  I bought both sacks.  Paid $10 for
the
100#.

Now my chickens will get them on the bye and bye.  And I'm sure I'm going to eat
some also.
:)  Thanks to whoever started this thread!  I'd have never thought of this!

> The grains just have to be freshly milled and added to the food.

What?  Milled?  like....as in ground up?  Why do that?  Feed them whole.
Of course, MAYBE chickens can't utelize the nutrients if they are fed whole, but
my chickens will get them whole unless I learn its better to grind them.  Am
curious to know how the flavor of the eggs will change, assuming it will.

Katy