From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 13:34:36 -0400
A couple of weeks ago, I described a problem I had been
experiencing intermittently, a few hours after some (by no means
all) meals: bloating, distended slightly tender abdomen, gas,
etc.  Rachel offered some suggestions, which I have adopted, with
pretty good results so far.  Nevertheless, as I write this the
problem is back.  About 90 minutes ago, I had a meal of about 4
ounces of grilled chicken in a salad of romaine lettuce, some
chopped red onions, and sliced cucumbers, with olive oil and
lemon juice.

I looked back at some food journal entries at other times when I
experienced this problem and suddenly noticed a common item in
the meals: salad greens.  In each case, there was lettuce or
spinach eaten within the last few hours.  On days when I had no
problem, I ate no leafy foods at all.  I mentioned undigested
food in stools, and it occurs to me that the most obviously
discernible undigested food is leafy greens, which seem to exit
my body quickly and unchanged.  I didn't notice this correlation
before, because I am so accustomed to thinking of leafy foods as
healthy and utterly harmless.  I just paid no attention to the
fact that I was eating them.

Since this is a relatively new problem (six months or so), I'm
wondering if there is something that would suddenly cause me to
be unable to handle leafy foods... Any ideas?

Todd Moody